Chartered Association of Building Engineers announce winners of Built Environment Awards and talks candidly about looming changes and culture shifts during their first-ever Round Table, now available to the public.
With the industry experiencing a sea change from regulations and competencies to demographic and culture shifts, CABE sat five experts around a table to discuss the needs and nuances of the built environment. They also announced the three 2020 winners of Built Environment Awards, all of whom produced outstanding quality projects that set an impressive tone for health, safety, sustainability, and design.
The Round Table
The Round Table theme, Accountability Across the Built Environment, focused on a variety of topics including procurement, industry-image, skills gaps, and ethics. The five speakers were:
- Gavin Dunn – Chartered Building Engineer and CEO of CABE
- Jayne Hall – Built Environment Enforcement Officer at South Gloucestershire Council and CABE President
- Reverend Kevin Fear – Health & Safety Policy Lead at the Construction Industry Training Board
- Liz Male – Managing Director of Liz Male Consulting a PR and Communications firm for the construction sector; and
- Richard Harral – Technical Director at CABE.
The speakers engaged in a heartfelt discussion on matters of great importance in the industry, encouraging increased awareness, mindset and cultural changes in the industry, as well as highlighting key focus areas as we shift into a new era in the built environment. This is an opportunity for the construction sector to align in values and standards and create a better environment for all.
Built Environment Awards 2020
Usually revealed during CABE’s annual gala dinner, this year the Built Environment Awards were announced throughout the Round Table, using short videos promoting the winning elements of the projects. From innovative and inclusive design and impressive agility under logistical pressures, to a symbolic meeting of neo-Renaissance and the future of green energy, all projects are exemplars of their category’s standards. The winners and their projects:
- New Build Awardpresented by Cordek Ltd. – OPCC and Devon & Cornwall Police for their project, Exeter Police Station
- Maintenance or Refurbishment Awardpresented by CABE Benevolent Fund – Onyx Solar for their project, Essen Customs Warehouse; and
- Building Health, Safety and Wellbeing Awardpresented by CABE Insurance Services – CR Construction Company Ltd. For their project, One Hennessy.
Watching the Round Table will count as 1 hour CPD and is viewable via cbuilde.com/BE2020 where you will also find more information on the winning projects from technical details to images.
From early November buildingengineer.org.uk will release in-depth articles on each of the winning projects.